Local Jobs and Job Search
- North Dakota State Jobs are all listed here.
- Job Service North Dakota lists jobs across the state for places in the community.
- Minnesota county government jobs are here and state jobs are here.
- Other places that hire social workers or counselors, sometimes, locally are:
- East Grand Forks School District
- Grand Forks Public School District
- Altru Hospital in Grand Forks
- Catholic Charities of North Dakota
- The Centre, a residential treatment program with several ND locations
- Community Violence Intervention Center (CVIC)
- Grand Forks County
- Grand Forks Senior Center
- Lutheran Social Services (across the state)
- Village Family Service Center (across ND, some MN jobs)
- The Stadter Center/Aurora Medical Park
National Job Search Sites
- ND Board of Social Work Examiners lists the state licensure requirements
- MN Board of Social Work requirements
- Association of Social Work Boards designs the tests, offers free and paid study guides, and is where you register for your exam. These tests are for ND and MN.
- ASWB has a list of supervisor competencies: use this to think about what you want and need from supervision (see Appendix B at the end of the article).
Books to read: These books are some of my favorite practice-oriented books for emerging clinicians
- The Family Therapy Treatment Planner offers clear treatment plan examples. There is a whole series of "treatment planner" books for different populations.
- Maps of Narrative Practice is a primer on Narrative Therapy.
- Motivational Interviewing is the classic text on the subject.
- Doing Dialectical Behavioral Therapy offers techniques and vignettes.
- Mindful Way Through Depression is a consumer text but good, and comes with CD.
- Anxiety and Phobia Workbook is also consumer oriented and worth reading.
Continuing Education: ND accepts any CEU that is approved by ASWB or NASW.